Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Day 31: Long Beach to San Clemente. 49.9 miles

The sunrise this morning was gorgeous!
Hank and I took our time getting ready to go this morning.  I even went to the post office and mailed some things home I won't need for te rest of the trip.  Some cold weather clothes, a book I meant to read but have been too tired, my down jacket, and some cooking utensils I haven't been using.  Hank was pretty excited to not have to carry the five pounds of things we didn't need. By the time we got going it was already getting hot and humid.  We weren't excited about the humidity.  It was only around 80 degrees but the humidity was around 70%.  That made me sweat all day!  Our route took us down near the water where it is usually cooler, but not today.  We rode past the Queen Mary.  It is an old cruise ship that has been turned into a floating hotel.  I've heard it's very nice.
We rode along a lot of very popular beaches for surfers and sunbathers today.  At Huntington Beach they were having the U.S. Open for surfing.  I watched for a few minutes but the waves didn't seem very big to me and the surfers didn't seem to be doing very much.  Maybe they were just practicing.
Huntington beach also has a very popular shopping area.  For a Wednesday it was fairly busy.  I bet the weekends it gets really busy.
There was one part of our ride today where we had to ride two miles on a path that was covered in sand.  Hank doesn't like riding on sand too much because it can get into his gears, bearings, and chain and really mess things up.  He was really good about it though and didn't make too much of a fuss.  I did promise him that I would clean him up and get him sparkling like new when we get home.  After that he was very happy.

While riding in the super humid heat today I decided to ride a little further than I originally planned for today.  That way Hank and I could get to my sister's in San Diego tomorrow rather than Friday.  So we rode almost 50 miles today and tomorrow we will ride 60 miles to my sister's.  Friday we will ride from my sister's to the border and complete the journey!!!!
I'm excited to reach my goal of riding to the Mexican Border! I am also excited to get back home and enjoy the rest of summer!

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment