Friday, July 8, 2016

Day 12: UPDATED! Burlington Campground to Standish-Hickey Campground. 46.2 miles.

Today was a somewhat challenging day.  It was a beautiful ride, but there were a lot of hills and it got up to around 80 degrees.  4,819 feet of hills!  I think that's a new record.  I'll have to look. 






Last night a bunch of the riders I was camping with started talking about going all the way to the beach today and doing the biggest hill of the whole trip all in one 70 mile day.  I almost did it too, but I decided I need to save my body and my energy for the remaining 1,000 miles I have to go.  The only reason I would have done it was because of my competitive spirit.  I had a long conversation with Hank for the first 10 miles of our ride today.  We decided that there was really no responsible reason to put my body through that with so much of the ride to go.  Also, I’m not in such a hurry. I want to enjoy the ride and the scenery, not torture myself and Hank.


Tomorrow I will ride from here back out to the beach over a 2,000 foot climb.  That will be challenging but should be a lot easier after a good night of rest.  Once I get back out to the beach I am considering getting a hotel and taking a day off at Fort Bragg.  I could use a day off to let my muscles and my mind recover a little.  My legs have been doing pretty good considering what I am doing to them.  I have now ridden up and down hills all day for 10 out of the last 11 days.  As for my mind, everyone knows I’m a bit crazy.  HAHA!  I think riding with the people I have met has actually helped me the last few days.  Most of these riders are stopping their trip in San Francisco, but I am sure I will meet new people from there on.  If not, no worries! This has still been such an amazing trip so far!  I can see travelling like this a lot more in the future. 

1 comment: