Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Day 10: Elk Prairie Campground to Bayside, California 46.5 miles

Wow it got cold last night in the Elk Prairie Campground!  Low 40s!  That doesn't seem that cold until you're sleeping in it and you prepared for temperatures in the mid 50s.  I survived though!  Here I am to tell the tale!

Last night after I post yesterdays blog I went back to camp and there were 6 other cyclists in camp that I had seen here and there along the ride.  We all stood around and got to know each other and talked about the ride and bikes and stuff.  It turns out I was one of the only Americans.  There was a couple from Holland, two from Canada, and two from Great Britain.  It was very cool to meet so many people from around the world.  I knew that this cycling route I'm on is a very popular one but I didn't know, until last night, that it's a famous ride all around the world.  There are people that come from all over the world every summer to ride Highway 101 from Vancouver, B.C. to the Mexican border.  It is really neat to be a part of their adventure.

I don't have any pictures from my ride today because it was foggy almost the whole way.  I did see a whale today though!  Right off shore I spotted its back pop up out of the water and air and water sprayed from its blow hole.  I stopped and watched for a few minutes.  It probably did it six or seven times before I got back on the road.  I wasn't able to get any decent pictures because cell phone cameras don't zoom in enough.

I also scared a deer today!  Hank and I were rolling down a hill at top speed and I looked over just in time to see a deer minding her own business eating grass.  I must have spooked her because she started running along side me trying to find an opening in the brush and trees to get away from me.  It was pretty cool!

I've ridden 385 miles so far!  That's not including the U-Haul miles on day 1.  That's 385 miles sitting and peddling.  I'm over 1/4 of the way already.  Only a little over 1,000 more miles to go!  HAHA! My halfway point will be around Jenner California, which is roughly 75 miles North of San Francisco.

Tomorrow I will ride another 40 or so miles to get back off the coast and back into the redwood forest.  In a couple of days I will be posting more pictures of huge trees!  The days after tomorrow I will be starting down a road called The Avenue of the Giants.  That is where some of the biggest and oldest Redwoods in the world are.  I am really looking forward to that ride!

For now it's time for Hank and I to rest!

Take care all!

No comments:

Post a Comment