Thursday, July 7, 2016

Day 11: Eureka to Burlington State Park and the Avenue of the Giants. 54 miles.

This morning I started out 5 miles north of Eureka California. I tried to stop in Eureka to get some groceries and fuel for my stove, but I couldn’t find a store that I felt comfortable leaving my bike outside of.  That’s kind of been a problem with riding solo.  I don’t mind leaving my bike where I can see it, but I get pretty uncomfortable knowing that everything I own on this trip could be stolen in seconds.  I stopped at a Big 5 Sporting Goods and asked the manager if I could roll my bike inside while I shopped but he said no.  I didn’t want to take the chance so I rolled on down the road.  I usually get everything I need at little gas station stores.  That way my bike is right outside where I can see it.  I do have a lock for the bike but there’s no way to lock up the panniers.  If I really had to go into a store I could lock up the bike and take all four panniers off and put them in a shopping cart and take them in with me.  It would be very inconvenient, but it would work.

The first 40 miles of my ride was on Highway 101.  The last 14 miles was on the Avenue of the Giants.  The Avenue of the Giants is a section of road 32 miles long that goes through a huge forest of redwood trees.  It is absolutely gorgeous!  Trees so big and old it is almost hard to understand.  It really made me feel very small biking through there today.  I biked almost all day with four of the cyclists from last night’s camp.  It was fun riding with other people.  I don’t mind riding alone, but there’s something more motivating about riding with other people. 



 These pictures really don't do this forest justice!  These trees are enormous!  I will try to get some better ones tomorrow with Hank for perspective.  The mosquitoes here are enormous too!



Right now I am in my tent typing this blog and when I get it done I will walk over to the Ranger Station where there is WiFi and upload it.  It’s kind of weird being out here in the middle of the forest and having WiFi.  It is nice though for staying in touch.  Also, in camp tonight there are almost a dozen riders all doing the same ride I am doing.  I expect I will continue to meet riders as I go. 


Tomorrow I have roughly 15 more miles through the Redwoods before I head up the highest climb of the whole trip, over 2,000 feet.  I haven’t had a chance to look at the map yet to see just how far tomorrow will be.  I guess it depends on whether or not I want to climb that hill all in one day. 

More to come tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Are you carrying a tablet or computer, or doing your blogging on your phone? I was impressed at how you reduced your load by 9 pounds; carrying too much stuff is always my problem and I only day ride! I'm so impressed by your journey up and down those mountains, and alongside that intimidating traffic. Go Jer & Hank!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am carrying a small notebook computer that has been working out well when I have WiFi. I set my phone up to be a WiFi hotspot, which I am using roight now in my tent, but there have been quite a few campgrounds without a 4G signal so the hotspot wouldn't work.

      Delete
  2. Jeremy, this is Corbin. It was good meeting you along this trip. I made it home to Yakima yesterday night. I made it to San Francisco on the 12 around 2 in the afternoon and caught the late night coast starlight (22 hour rail ride) back to Seattle. Best of luck on the rest of your tour! Glad to here you got your tick resolved! Cheers.
    I miss the road already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Corbin! I'm so glad you made it back and had a great time! I really enjoyed riding with you. It still blows me away that I saw you riding through Battle Ground five days before we ran into each other on the road on the Oregon Coast! I would ride again with you anytime! I am currently in San Francisco taking a day off. I will be back on the road heading south tomorrow morning. If you miss the road...get back on it! lol Take care and stay in touch!

      Delete