Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Day 23: Monterey to Big Sur. 35 miles.

Last night was a weird night with not much sleep. There have been a lot of campgrounds with food lockers, but I haven’t been using them.  A food locker is a metal or wooden box you put your food in so the birds, squirrels, raccoons, and bears don’t get it.  I used them in the campgrounds when we were in bear country, but not in areas where the problem animals were mainly birds and squirrels.  Last night at 3:30 in the morning I was regretting not using the food locker!  Something wandered past my tent and brushed up against the side.  It woke me up the first time.  I thought it was a dog or something at first.  The second time it did it I was awake but it was dark so I couldn’t see exactly what it was, so I gave it a good kick and it ran off.  Not ten minutes later I was laying there just starting to get back to sleep when all of a sudden something tore open the side of my tent, reached in and grabbed my food bag, and tried to run off with it.  I sat up in time to grab the bag as it was being pulled through the football sized hole in my tent.  For about fifteen seconds I was playing tug-o-war with some animal I couldn’t see in the dark and my food bag!!  Eventually I let go because the thought of whatever this animal is coming in through the hole and me being stuck inside my tent with it didn’t sound like much fun. I got dressed really quick, grabbed my flashlight, and got outside to see what animal I was dealing with and where my food went.  When I got out I saw two giant raccoons eating my food and staring at me.  They didn’t even seem scared of me.  I yelled at them and walked toward them.  They finally ran off a little ways so I could grab my shredded food bag.  It was late and I was more concerned with the giant hole in the side of my tent than the lost food.  I threw what was left of the food bag and food into the food locker I should have been using in the first place and got some duct tape and temporarily patched the hole in my tent.  The rest of the night I didn’t sleep much.  I was pretty much wide awake laying there thinking they might come back for more food and tear into my tent again.  They didn’t, but what a night!  The next morning I patched my tent a little better, packed up my stuff, and Hank and I headed down the road toward the next camp in Big Sur.





The ride to Big Sur was beautiful!  The coastline was rocky and around every corner and over every hill was another postcard perfect picture to be taken.  I didn’t stop to take pictures at every spot because I would have never gotten to my next campground.  There are a lot of pictures in my head.




When Hank and I got to the Big Sur campground we realized it was in a small redwood forested area.  There were some really big trees compared to back home, but nothing like the trees in the Redwoods from a week or so ago.  It was still a very pretty campground.



Stay tuned for more!  I still have a long ways to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment