Monday, July 18, 2016

Day 22: Santa Cruz to Monterey Bay. 46 miles

Today was a beautiful day!  The sun came out early and stayed out all day.  Hank and I rode with some friends all day today.  Remember me telling you about Hank’s new friend Carlos the tandem bike?  That’s who we rode with today.  Hank was loving it! 

We rode through what seemed like endless farm fields.  I have never seen so many strawberry fields in my life.  Strawberry fields forever!  We rode for at least 20 miles today by fields filled with strawberries, lettuce, and other crops we couldn’t identify.  There were hundreds of workers scattered throughout the fields picking fruits and vegetables and more workers driving trucks stacked with boxes of picked fruits and veggies.  It was amazing to see how much work goes into getting our food from the field to our homes and I was only seeing a small part of it.

This morning I made the mistake of not eating enough for breakfast, and then at lunch I didn’t eat enough either.  I didn’t really think about it until about 30 miles into our ride.  I was just in a zone riding and just wanted to keep pedaling.  Then all of a sudden I got super hungry.  I had some snacks but at that point I needed a large meal to get the energy to finish the day, but I wasn’t going to get that meal until I got to camp at the end of the day.  I won’t let that happen again!  I need to eat more throughout the day because I am burning so many calories riding all day.  So this evening I am eating lots of food and drinking lots of water to refuel for tomorrow.

After about 35 miles of mostly inland riding we finally came over a hill that overlooked Monterey Bay.  It was beautiful!  It looked more like I expected the California coast to look like than anything else I had seen so far.  Yesterday’s view of the Santa Cruz boardwalk was beautiful, and was definitely a view you could only see in California, but the view of Monterey Bay seemed more like what I expected.  I think because it wasn’t quite as crazy looking like the carnival type of things that Santa Cruz had and the huge crowd of tourists covering the beaches.  Below is our first view of Monterey Bay today.

Tonight we are in a campground in Monterey.  This campground is not quite as nice as the ones we have been staying in up to this point.  Near the picnic table there is a sign letting people know a bike has been stolen recently.  This can happen anywhere, so we just need to be careful and make sure we lock Hank to a tree or picnic table or something.  I lock him up every night no matter what.  I can’t imagine losing Hank.  We have gotten super close over these 800+ miles.



Hank is extra safe tonight!  He is locked up with his riding buddy Carlos!  Look at them resting for the night!  As you can see we also use our bikes to hang our clothes that need to dry.  Such great bikes! 



Tomorrow we head south toward Big Sur.  It is supposed to be one of the most beautiful areas of the California coast, but also very desolate, so I may or may not have a cell signal or wifi to post a blog.  I’ll do my best as always just like my students always do!


Take care all!

No comments:

Post a Comment