Thursday, July 21, 2016

Day 25: Plaskett Creek to Morro Bay. 58 miles

Today was an awesome riding day!  Hank and I only had two big hills to climb and after that it was fairly flat the rest of the day.

When we got up this morning it was still kind of weird that Carlos wasn’t there.  We went about our morning routine making breakfast and coffee, and getting camp packed up, but something was missing.  We miss you Carlos!

Last night my phone battery died in the middle of the night.  Plaskett Creek Campground didn’t have power so I couldn’t charge it up.  I wasn’t able to get any pictures this morning, but this afternoon I was able to charge my phone for a few minutes at a diner I had lunch in. 

Picture of outlet

Hank and I had two hill that were each a little over 800 feet to climb today.  We got those out of the way fairly early in the day.  After about 15 miles into our day we were smooth sailing with no big hills and a monster tail wind pushing us along.  At one point I looked down at my speedometer and we were cruising at 27 miles per hour!  We stayed right around 20 miles per hour for a little over an hour and a half.  At that point we pulled off and had lunch.  At this point it was the first time I had cell service in over two days.  With my phone charged and cell service again I was able to get a lot of missed texts and emails.  This is when I found out that Carlos, Eric, and Molly were headed back home and their ride was over.  It was sad to see them go, but they had ridden a little over 1,000 miles and had the time of their lives, so that’s great! 

Also during lunch I decided to look and see how far Hank and I had to ride to get to a town large enough for a hotel.  The batteries in almost everything I have been using were all dead and needed recharging.  I needed a real bed, a shower, to do a load of laundry, and possibly take a day off from riding to let my sore muscles rest.  I found a hotel in Morro Bay, but it was 28 miles away and we had already ridden 30.  That means it would be a 58 mile day to get to the hotel.  With the tail wind and a fairly high energy level we decided to go for it!  We rode the tail wind until we were 10 miles from the hotel and then for whatever reason the tail wind switched direction and turned into a head wind.  Not to mention it got really hot!  The last ten miles were pretty rough, but the first 48 were awesome, so we just pushed through it and got to the hotel.  We are both resting now.  I haven’t decided if I will take tomorrow off from riding.  I will talk to Hank about it. 

Hank and I came across a beach covered with HUGE sea lions just laying all over the beach.  They stunk really badly!

Come back tomorrow to see what we are up to!

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment