Sunday, July 17, 2016

Day 21: Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz. 58.6 miles

What a beautiful day to ride the California coast!  Well after the rain stopped and the fog burned away!  This morning was wet and cold!  I took the picture below at around 7 am while I was cooking breakfast in a light rain and a strong wind.  The temperature was 54, but with the wind blowing and the rain it felt like it was in the 40s.  Not what I expected for California!
Below is the route for today's ride.  We only had one hill and it wasn't that bad.  After we got over that hill I was able to take off the rain jacket.  

 Hank made me pull over and take a picture of him in front of this lighthouse.  He does look pretty good, so I was happy to take his picture.  He also mentioned today hat he wants to meet my third graders!  I told him I would take him to school in the fall so everyone could see him.
 For the most part today since the weather wasn't too good for the first half of our ride we were just putting in the miles hoping to get to some sun.  We finally got to some sun in a small town called Davenport.  It was actually the first town where we could get food or water after a 36 mile section of nothing but ocean and road.  We stopped and I ate lunch.  While I was eating I noticed the boats in the picture below.  I asked one of the locals what they were fishing for and he said shrimp.  He told me that this shrimping season has been one of the best in many years because of the warm water off the coast.
The highlight of our day was getting to Santa Cruz where the sun, the surfers, and the tourists were out enjoying their Sunday.  In the picture below there were lots of surfers and lots of sail boats.  I watched the surfers for a little while.  Some of them were really good and could do some cool tricks on their boards.  Some of them looked like it was their first time and fell a lot.  I guess you have to start somewhere.  Falling off makes them better in the long run.  Remember that third graders! Failure IS an option! You learn from your mistakes!
Below is the famous Santa Cruz Boardwalk.  Hank and I went down and rode past it but it was really packed with people so we didn't stay long.  They have a really old wooden roller coaster.  There aren't too many wooden roller coasters left.  Most are made of steel now.
 Below is a picture of the roller coaster.  Also, I anted to point out how much the trees have changed.  Remember not too long ago I was posting pictures of the biggest trees in the world when I was in the Redwoods?  Now look at the trees in this picture.  Palm trees!  These are nothing like the Redwoods!
Time for some rest!
More to come tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment