Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Short test ride

Just got home from a short ride to test out the new Giro Privateer cycling shoes.  The guy at the bike shop told me I should go on a short ride and stop often to get used to stepping out of the cleats.  So I went on a short six mile loop and stopped here and there to make sure I could get unclipped from my pedals without falling over.  I was able to do it without any problems.  He made it sound like I might fall over a few times before I got used to it.  I guess I'm a quick learner.  Or maybe I just learn quicker when falling to the ground is a possibility.  Maybe that's the key to learning quickly, add a little danger.

I finally made a decision on a sleeping bag.  I bought the Marmot Always Summer 45 degree goose down bag, but it felt like the warmth rating was very generous, so I ordered a North Face Aleutian 35 degree bag.  It is a little warmer and seems to be a nicer bag for quite a bit cheaper thanks to the REI Outlet.  I settled on a tent today too, but I will go over all the gear I end up using for the trip later on down the road.

This is so much fun so far.  I have accepted the fact that there will be painful/sore days as well.  I got to thinking about that today and I have decided that the majority of the events in my life that required struggle or pain were worth it in the end.  I guess there is some truth to "No pain, no gain".

No comments:

Post a Comment