Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Partial (tentative) route planned!

Yesterday I spent some time planning my route.  I have a tentative plan for the first five days/184 miles.  I say tentative because I am looking into other routes that might take me out to the coast. Either way I want to end up at Penrose State Park where I have a friend that will be working there this summer.  I would like to stay there a couple days to visit and rest up for the next long haul, but as I said the route is tentative so far.

Also, yesterday I found some cycling shoes on clearance in a size 15 (50 European Size) at River City Cycles in Portland.  I have never had shoes and cleats on a bike so this may take some getting used to.  The guy I worked with at the shop was very helpful and told me how to practice and get used to them.  Basically the shoes clip into the pedals like ski bindings.  When you twist your foot the shoe comes out.  The foot bed of the shoe is solid and very sturdy so all of the leg energy is transferred to the pedal and the bike rather than the flexing of the foot and ankle.

Today I ordered a much lighter tent than the one I was planning on using and went to REI and picked up a sleeping bag and sleeping pad I got a good deal on.  I have bought and returned so many various tents and sleeping bags it's crazy!  Thanks REI for the awesome return policy!

Below is the first draft of the first five days of my route.



No comments:

Post a Comment