Friday, April 8, 2016

Gear testing trip

Just got home from a great camping trip where I got to test out some of the gear I plan to use on the cycling tour.  Also, I stayed at a park that I plan to stay at during along my trip.  Penrose Point State Park is beautiful!  There is a "sister" park called Joemma Park that is beautiful as well.  I found out from "my brother from another mother" (Ben) that works at Penrose Park that during the 4th of July weekend it's nearly impossible to get a camping spot.  No worries.  I haven't even figured out the timing yet.

On my way to Penrose Park, which ended up being roughly 160 miles by car, I was thinking about riding the route.  Of course the cycling route will be on side roads and country roads, not the freeway, but I was able to see some of the roads I would be travelling on.  It as exciting to think about.  In roughly three months I would be riding those roads and staying at some of the campgrounds I saw signs for.  That is if I decide to go on the tentative route I have planned.  One part that of the ride that seemed very exciting was riding the cycling/walking/running trail that goes over the narrows bridge! I sure hope it's not windy that day!

At Penrose Park I was able to test my sleep system and my cooking gear.  I decided that the sleep pad I got isn't going to cut it for me.  Guess what REI I coming back to take advantage of your return policy yet again!  Thank you! I really like the sleeping bag, so I'm pretty sure it's the one for the trip. I need to tweak a few things with my cooking system, but I like what I have so far. I tried to eat mostly the same foods I would eat on the trip.  That seemed to work out well.

More to come soon!

I hope if you (whomever you are) read this and follow me throughout this journey.  This will be a record for me, but I think it's going to be interesting enough to keep others entertained as well. We'll see what happens along the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment