Friday, July 2, 2021

Canada to Mexico days 12 and 13

Well that was a productive day! Fun too! Two nights ago the campground had awful cell signal, so I couldn't post much. Last night I was just too tired. It rained all night in camp two nights ago. I stayed nice and dry and cozy in my tent. When I woke up yesterday morning I really didn't want to get out of bed. It stopped raining for a few minutes and I thought that might be my chance to have breakfast and pack up camp without getting soaked. As soon as I stepped out of my tent I was swarmed by mosquitoes. They were relentless! I didn't even want to cook breakfast and make coffee, so I packed up camp in record time and hit the road. It rained for the first two hours. I stopped at a little cafe and had an incredibly high calorie meal. It was so good! It's almost disgusting how much I'm eating already on this trip. As I type this I'm eating almond butter on a tortilla AND Skinny Pop popcorn. Haha! My ride for yesterday was only supposed to be 38 miles, but I had that done before noon. I don't like sitting around camp, so I kept going. In a car it's easy to just change plans and be in the next town in a few minutes. On a bike it's a little more trouble. Since I skipped the campground I had planned for the night I ended up at a hotel in Tillamook for the night. Hotel prices are going to kill me on this trip. $180 for something I paid less than $100 just a couple years ago. I was planning on taking a day off in Newport over the weekend but it's 4th of july weekend, so all the rooms are over $300! Insane. I think I'll be taking way less days off. Anyway, after 64 miles I ended up in Tillamook for the night. Skipping that campground screwed up the next three nights, so I spent nearly an hour reworking my schedule and destinations. It's worth it to just keep pedaling. I love to just keep going. Much like Forest Gump. Lol. Today's longer ride and another upcoming one actually shave off a whole day. So the three day delay due to the heat wave is now down to two. Saw some gorgeous coastline today. Rode through a tunnel. That was interesting. Hank and I ran into the side of the tunnel a couple times. There was barely any shoulder. I hope you all had a great day!
Yummy! On to the next campground today! More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment