Monday, June 6, 2016

Plan B (This is the route I have decided on taking)

The last two days have been in the 90s here and it's barely June!  I can't stand the heat, so I've been a little worried about riding in late June and all of July in temperatures like that.  It would be super draining, uncomfortable, and dangerous.  So I have created a plan B just in case.  The only place I can think of that would be cooler would be along the coast.  Yesterday it was 97 degrees here in Battle Ground and 67 degrees on the coast in Lincoln City.  67 degrees sounds like great riding weather to me!

About a month ago I bought a book that seemed to plant a seed of an idea in the back of my mind.
Image result for bicycling the pacific coast
Lately I have been looking through this book and have created my plan B based off of the route in this book.  The original route I planned is just over 1,000 miles.  If I rode from Battle Ground to my sister's in San Diego it would only be another 350 miles and would be an amazing adventure and one heck of an accomplishment!

Even as I write this I think about the fact that I have basically no experience bicycle touring.  I believe it to be normal to fear the unknown.  I do have a little fear when it comes to riding off away from home alone with (hopefully) everything I need loaded on my bike.  I remind myself that I had way more fear when I decided to start college at the age of 32.  I was scared to death of what might happen or that I might fail and not reach my goals.  I just kept going and doing my best.  I had challenges and plenty of things that tried to get in the way of my goals, but I kept going through all of it.  After 7 years I look back at all that I went through and it gives me strength for my journey this summer.  I made it through the deaths of friends and family members, my mom's cancer, my dad's heart surgery, my meningitis, my divorce, an appendectomy, my grandma's stroke, and the list goes on and on. It is amazing to me what I can adjust to and get through.  It amazes me what humans in general can do when they put their minds to it.  So with that said I remind myself that if I can go through everything I have been through and still be where I am today I can do this!

Below is a link to the Plan B route.  It looks like some gorgeous coastal riding to me!  Take a look and let me know what you think.  I don't know if anyone is even reading this.  lol

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14211004






   

No comments:

Post a Comment