Sunday, June 26, 2016

No internet last night!

I didn't have internet last night in my tent, so here is what I typed:

6/25/16

Today I rode a loop from home out through Ridgefield and back toward Battle Ground to a camp ground 7.5 miles North of Battle Ground.  I am in my tent now typing this, but I have no internet service so I will have to blog it tomorrow when I get home. 

It was a good ride, 23 miles.  This ride was mostly to see how my bike and my gear performed.  Everything went well.  It is definitely more difficult peddling my bike with 50 pounds of gear, food, and water.  Water is so heavy!  Oh that reminds me I think I’m going to name my bike The Space Unicorn!  It’s fun and my 3rd graders will love that name (most of them).  Anyway, here I sit in my tent pretty tired from riding.  I’m thinking about the fact that today’s ride was only 23 miles and I had planned on averaging 40 miles each day on my trip.  I know it will take some time before I get used to riding longer distances, so I keep reminding myself that I will just take my time, enjoy the ride and the scenery, and not worry about being in a hurry. 

Over the years I have realized that I am super competitive, with myself.  This can be a good motivator, but it can also push me to set the bar a little too high sometimes.  Like getting perfect grades all through college.  That just put a ton of pressure on myself that I didn’t need.  No one put that pressure on but me.  I did it to myself.  So one of things I will do on this trip is practice putting less pressure on myself. I will try to live in the moment and enjoy it for what it is.


To my 3rd graders…I think we will all be able to learn some valuable lessons from this bike ride coming up starting tomorrow!  I’m so excited to share this with you!




No comments:

Post a Comment