Saturday, March 27, 2021

What a nice ride today! Got a new friend for Hank too!

 


Hank and I went on a nice ride today. Nearly 22 miles and 1,200 feet of elevation. I am very happy with the ride. It was beautiful out today. 22 miles in 2 hours isn't bad considering the hills we climbed. The way I look at this ride is if I can go twice as far for twice as long for roughly 42 days in a row over the summer that would be a great tour! 


I also picked up a new friend for Hank off of Craigslist. Meet Ruby! She is a 2004 Cannondale R600 and she is sweet! Well she is old and needs a lot of work, but she will be sweet once I get a few things replaced, lubed, and adjusted. At first I thought Hank would be jealous, but I think he is going to like Ruby. I mainly got Ruby for riding to and from the school and for training, so I am not wearing Hank out. Hank and I get LOTS of time together on tour, so a few hundred miles each month on Ruby shouldn't be a problem for Hank. One thing about Hank is that he is very heavy. Touring bikes are made of steel and designed to haul heavy loads of gear for weeks, or even months, of touring. Ruby is less than half the weight of Hank and is designed to go fast. Her frame is made of aluminum with a carbon fiber fork, so she is super light. She needs new tires, cables, chain, brake pads, wheels trued (straightened), and a few other things here and there. I will likely spend spring break getting her road ready. I love a project like this. 

More to come soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment